Name of Castaway: Alan Irons
Choice of Music and Reasons
1. By Cool Siloam's Shady Rill sung by the Glasgow Orpheus Choir CLICK HERE
Although I am a native of Edinburgh my parents met in the Orpheus Choir and were married in Ibrox Parish Church
2. Ravel's Bolero by Berlin Philharmonic Conductor Pierre Boulez CLICK HERE
In my teens I played a lot of tennis and and after went to various houses and listened to music. This was played a lot!!
3. Andrea Bocelli singing Avez Verum Corpus by Mozart CLICK HERE
This inspired me to take singing lessons at the age of 70 from our own Avril McCusker albeit I got her to sign a non disclosure agreement before hand!
4. The Adagio of Spartacus and Phrygia by Adam Khacheturian. CLICK HERE
Brings back memories of watching the Onedin Line
5. Vitava [The Moldau] by Bedrich Smetana CLICK HERE
Following the river through Prague until it bursts into the Black Sea
5A followed by a wee extra short piece The swan from Carnival of the animals by Saint-Saens CLICK HERE
Choice of Book and Reason:
For my book I would like to take "In Our Time" by Melvin Bragg. It is a set of 26 live broadcasts in the series covering "Black Holes" Darwin's "Theory of Evolution" and other deep subjects! Should keep me well occupied!
Choice of Luxury Item and Reason:
A major supply of oatmeal and salt together with perhaps an Ayrshire cow [for a supply of creamy milk] tied up to a palm tree.